Tuesday, 3 July 2007

United States of Africa...?

I have never met the new president of Nigeria...Umar Yaradua, but I happen to know two of his nieces from the late Musa Yaradua. They were good girls pretty liberal Muslims yet I didn't know what to expect from this newbie who cut his teeth in many powerful positions including being a two time governor of Katsina state being one of the 6 governors who was never mentioned as being a thief, simply for that feat I commend him.

PDP must have known what they were doing when they nominated him as their presidential candidate and even though he won through questionable means, I doubt the Nigerian masses will not be pleased with his term however long or short it may be.

So far since his term began, there has been a strike by those silly members of the labour union, protesting the fuel price increase from N65 to N75 , after they embarked on their five day strike that crippled the nation El president negotiated with them till the present price level N70 (I don't know how many of these labour union members has lived in the UK or the USA, fuel prices are ridiculous, no one complains they just buy more fuel efficient cars ).

Recently there was the African Union assembly i think during this past weekend, where some funny heads of state led by Col Gaddafi decided they wanted to form a United States of Africa.
As erroneous as that sounds I don't think they were in the right frame of mind when they cooked up that notion. Have they been country to country to note the disparities between peoples cultures, modes of life, standards of living etc? I have seen first hand what amalgamating over a 100 different tribes can do to the stability of a nation and then you want to bring in people who kill their siblings into the same fold as people who have been displaced by these same folk? I say no.
El president made this speech and from now I will not see him as a hausaman with all the fitting stereotypes but now i know he is a president and he has done right by me for ignoring Gaddafi's ramblings:

“our perspective is mediated by the critical need at this point in our continent’s developmental process, for the nations of Africa to focus more on the strengthening and consolidation of internal governance and growth structures, and on more robust regional integration.
“Focus on inter-regional collaboration is equally critical especially considering that all the five regions of Africa face essentially the same challenges of poor infrastructure, inadequate energy, endemic poverty, and the twin bane of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis.
“Conversely, these issues, along with the challenges of conflict, disease and poverty, drive the imperative for us to present a united and common front in the global arena. There is strength in the synergy that is only possible from functional unity.
“This brings me to another critical variable in this debate: the degree of our commitment to our continental body and the essence of our Africanness. To the extent that we continue to subscribe and owe more allegiance to extra-continental bodies to the neglect of the AU, our steps towards functional integration will remain faltering.”

It shocks me that during the entire time, no one spoke of the crisis that is Darfur, I know the former president Obasanjo rallied peace corps to help out the black Sudanese who were being butchered by the Arab Sudanese but the situation hasn't changed if African leaders can sanction these Sudanese people a lot of things there will change, how can they these African leaders championing a unified government, champion a cause when one of the key disasters facing Africa cannot even be smoothed out.
They didn't even speak about Zimbabwe and the nonsense Mugabe is turning that country into.
You cannot eat your cake and have it too. Deal with the present problems and maybe then we will condone a talk about unification which brings the question...who would have been the first leader of the United States of Africa, Col. Gaddafi...LOL I mean he calls himself the soldier for Africa, well he is a terrorist, we shouldn't allow terrorist to propose a unification because you know what that means, it means a Jihad. Personally I love Africa and I don't want to be displaced because some crazy fanatic that wont even allow democracy in his own country proposes a unification that threatens the well being of my family.

I am here in the USA studying to make my country great like the USA not for some madman to broker an idea and destroy everything I stand for...liberté,égalité , fraternité something Col Gaddafi and his yeomen do not know.
The road to recovery does not start until we can remove the leeches on our skin, when people like Gaddafi, Mugabe, and those wicked Sudanese Arabs are gone, then we can talk.
PS I don't support a United States of Africa, never will. Thank you Yaradua for stalling because the next time this topic is approached someone will get a piece of my mind.


No comments: